Kingston: I Just Can't Believe It!


On the eve of Friday, August 30th, Kennedy and Jefferson varsity football teams were warming up on the field at Kingston Stadium as the sun was still in the sky. The stands were filling with fans ready to cheer on and support our athletes, bands were assembling, and the smell of grilled burgers permeated the air. I stood on the north end zone of the stadium, taking it all in. Although it was an entirely familiar "Friday Night Football" Friday at Kingston, there was an added notion of excitement...almost like show jitters..a quiet undercurrent of bliss.

The chain team, a dedicated group of volunteers, who have operated home games since the 1980s, were discussing the new field, the track, the bleachers--their smiles and excitement were almost sentiments of disbelief. They commented on how beautiful the field was with absolute joy in their eyes. I mentioned to them that I marched on the field with a flag in my hand in the '80s...many times with muddy shoes and worn out sidelines. We all laughed. 

On Thursday, September 5th, the night of Washington's first home game of this season, I met a dedicated volunteer, a retired CRCSD teacher, and long-time supporter of Kingston track meets. He stood with Matt Dunbar, Manager of Custodial and Grounds (which includes Kingston Stadium), who kindly introduced us. Our community volunteer beamed as he looked at the eight-lane track. He said, "I did not think I'd see the day we'd have it. I just can't believe it. Can't wait for track season." Matt smiled, took absolutely no credit for all of the work needed behind the scenes to choreograph a new field, new track, and new stands, and said, "It is just really nice to have for our kids."

I heard these types of statements over and over again at our first three home football games: 
"I can't believe we got it." 
"It's hard to believe we have eight lanes." 
"I didn't think we would get this." 
"It's amazing...I can hardly believe it."

As I watched and listened, it reminded me of watching children open presents that they were really hoping for, but they never thought would actually land in their laps. In the case of my own kids, they are overjoyed and, usually, respond with some sort of surprise. What a wonder to witness that amount of joy! Unwrapping unexpected gifts.

That is what this week felt like at Kingston Stadium.

There we all were, encased in our familiar stadium, but as we entered and unwrapped our surroundings, we witnessed a shared field that pronounces each school's colors, accessible stands with improved traffic flow, and an eight-lane track now suitable to host district meets. I'm so proud of the work of our Buildings and Grounds team, under the direction of Jonathan Galbraith, as well as our Kingston Team, under Matt Dunbar's management. Their oversight secured an amazing product of which our entire community should be proud. 

And I completely agree with Matt's sentiments. Our kids deserve this beautiful, shared space. More importantly, I think that Kingston's renovation is truly a product of leadership that believed that it was essential to produce a safe, competitive, and beautiful arena for the future of our students. Our Activities Council, led by our three high school athletic directors, in collaboration with our buildings and grounds and Kingston management teams, advocated for improved space at Kingston because of their belief in our students. With the assistance of PPEL funding, this belief drove a wonderful outcome.



I was honored to serve as the honorary captain for KHS on the opening varsity game night. Prior to the coin flip, the JHS band graced the pregame field and played the National Anthem. As I stood on the field with eight members of KHS and JHS varsity teams, they shook each others' hands with sportsmanship and pride. At that point, I felt like I was the kid unwrapping the unexpected gift. 

Our kids deserve safe, competitive, and beautiful spaces. Kingston Stadium is here...it is an amazing gift to our students and our community. I hope you get out there and see it: marching band, football, soccer, track, cheerleading...the opportunities will present themselves all school year. It is a sight to see, and yes, you can believe it! 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Things Mean A Lot...

Spuds, Reading, and More!