Through the Voices of Amazing Kids

Singing Voices of Inspiration and Creation...
About a week ago, an elementary teacher sent me an original song that her students created. The song was inspired from our theme of Hope Spots, and the kids wrote and sang about what brings them hope. The lyrics capture the essence of hope through a child's eyes. When they feel supported, inspired, and they believe there are opportunities and possibilities, they are ignited with hope. I do not want to steal their thunder. So I won't specifically quote their song before an opportunity to share their song with families and their school. However, as I listened to the audio file, their teacher sent, my heart just filled with joy and inspiration. Their words came from the opportunity their teacher created for them. With inspiration and support, they can accomplish so much. Kids are absolutely amazing!


Reflective Voices of Critical Thinking...
I also met a third-grader who attended one of the community input sessions regarding our new elementary construction project. The third-grader asked me why it would take so long to build the new building. To wait until his fifth-grade year seems like a very long time! As I explained that it takes time to get input from our community, parents, staff, and students in order to create a building with everyone's ideas in mind, he tilted his head, squinted his eyes, and said, "That makes sense. I just wish it could happen sooner. It gets me excited!" He had additional ideas to consider that would help kids learn and be engaged at school. As I listened to him, the same emotion I felt in the hope song looped right back into my heart. I could see this little guy's inspiration, his hope, and his ability to create, think, and wonder about the possibilities. He inspired me and our architects--his voice and input about what school can look like matters just as much as every other voice in the process. Again, kids are absolutely amazing!


Kids' Voices at the Table...
Exploring ideas and creating opportunities for students' voices to a part of all that we do truly prepares them to be active citizens. Ultimately, that is a goal for all of us in the community. Engaging our youth to be a part of the learning process, creating future pathways, and bringing their voice to opportunities shows them that they are valued. As my mom has said for years, "Out of the mouths of babes." As they see things for the first time, their perspective can actually provide a whole new lens for adults. Listening to their ideas and seeing through that lens will be a goal of mine. It is my hope to create a student advisory process so that their voices are at the table and evident in all that we do. Yep, kids are absolutely amazing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Things Mean A Lot...

Spuds, Reading, and More!