Spuds, Reading, and More!

I was invited to Wright Elementary School last week by the teacher-librarian to "judge" renditions of book characters created out of potatoes. That's right! Not clay, not Mr. Potato Head figures, but actual potatoes. It was certainly an offer I could not resist...I was picturing in my mind what the potential creations could be prior to my visit. My imagination did not even come close to the amazing creations developed by each classroom at Wright Elementary!

As I was greeted by the teacher-librarian, Ms. Davis, I could see the collection of characters displayed on a table. I approached the lineup and could not stop my laughter, squeals of amazement, and clapping. Needless to say, I was certainly a disruption to the library environment. There was a tremendous challenge in selecting the "winners" of the potato creations; however, the decision landed with the characters who really embraced the integrity of the original potato. Every character deserved a prize, quite frankly, and I really had the ultra challenge in selecting two finalists!




Although this activity was fun, engaging, and involved the entire school community, what it really demonstrated was how a little fun created a literacy-rich environment. The characters were from books that the children experienced--their classroom interpretations and creations were centered on understanding characters from books and even understanding the subtleness of humor. The mediums and resources used also incorporated art and an application of three-dimensional creation. That's right, the spuds were the perfect starch to promote reading!

As this week launches America Reads Week, I can't help but think how these kinds of activities engage kids of all ages and, perhaps, even adults. I noted the competitive tone between the teachers at Wright; they, too, embraced their spuds. CRCSD will continue to celebrate America Reads Week on Friday as we invite volunteers, parents, and community partners to read in our classrooms. This annual tradition celebrates the power of just taking time to read together; it creates engagement, excitement, and instills the love of reading. If you are interested in reading to a classroom and have not signed up yet, please contact the school of interest directly, and they can assist you.

Even if you can't volunteer in a school this week, embrace an opportunity to read with a child, discuss a book or newspaper article with an adolescent, or even create your own SPUD characters as a family activity. I hope the following pictures inspire and fill you with as much joy as I experienced last week. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Things Mean A Lot...